Call Today for a Consultation

Toll Free: 888-225-9567 | Phone: 850-502-2047

Toll Free: 888-225-9567
Phone: 850-502-2047

Providing Legal Guidance And
Peace Of Mind To Families

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Steps to take after divorce

Steps to take after divorce

On Behalf of | Apr 16, 2019 | Divorce

Florida couples who are getting a divorce may not be finished with paperwork even after the divorce is finalized. From changing names to revising estate plans and more, there is usually still more work ahead. One step people should take is updating passwords on all digital accounts.

People might also need to change their medical, auto and other types of insurance. If one spouse gets the home in the divorce settlement, the other spouse may need to be removed from the title and the mortgage. Other assets, such as vehicles, need to be retitled as well. Couples who have not already done so should close any shared accounts and open individual ones, and ex-spouses should be removed as authorized users on accounts. If they have agreed to split a non-IRA retirement account, they will need a document called a qualified domestic relations order. This must be approved by the plan administrator.

There are a number of elements involved in revising an estate plan after a divorce. People may need to change wills or trusts and create new powers of attorney. Former spouses sometimes forget to update beneficiary designations as well.

Parents may have additional issues to address after divorce. They may struggle to co-parent, particularly if the divorce was contentious, but courts usually encourage parents to work together to resolve issues instead of returning to court. However, major changes in the custody and visitation or child support agreement may require going back to court to ask for a modification. For example, if a custodial parent wishes to relocate and it will affect the other parent’s visitation schedule, the custodial parent might have to get permission from the court. If a parent who pays child support loses a job, that parent may want to petition for a modification in child support.