Financial Support When A Marriage Ends

During a marriage, one spouse may make sacrifices in his or her career to help support the family. Things such as leaving a successful career or quitting school may allow for a spouse to help build and raise a family, but it can put that spouse in a tough spot if the marriage ends.

To help ensure both parties are able to maintain the lifestyle they grew accustomed to during the marriage, one spouse may be awarded spousal support (also called alimony) when the marriage ends. When individuals contact my firm — the Law Office of Donald Witmyer, P.A. — I can help them learn more about the types of spousal support in Florida and how much they can expect to pay or receive.

Types Of Spousal Support In Florida

In Florida, there are multiple types of alimony, and each type is designed to provide financial support in specific situations. When individuals contact me, I explain the various types of spousal support and the purposes of each, including:

  • Durational alimony, which is typically awarded to individuals who had medium-length marriages
  • Permanent alimony, which may be awarded after longer marriages, typically those longer than 14 years
  • Transitional or rehabilitative alimony, which is awarded to allow someone to go back to school or take the steps necessary to regain financial stability
  • Bridge the gap alimony, which is awarded to "bridge the gap" between a standard of living enjoyed during the marriage and a more modest, sustainable lifestyle

Contact An Experienced Spousal Support Lawyer

Unlike child support, there is no formula for determining spousal support. To help ensure you receive a fair support arrangement, it's critical to work with an alimony lawyer who can help protect your rights.

I help clients in Destin and throughout Northwest Florida understand the things that may be considered in spousal support arrangements, including the length of the marriage, education of both parties and the earning capacity of both parties. Protect your financial rights by contacting an experienced attorney online or by calling 850-502-2047.